MG Foundation President's Message



Linda Burshia Battle

November is the perfect time to give thanks. We really can't go straight from Halloween into Christmas with out acknowledging and appreciating November and Thanksgiving.   My November garden is tucked in and ready for winter. I'm thankful for a bit of a reprieve. The gardens at Hovander, Roeder and the community gardens are all cleaned up and ready for our colder season. I'm thankful for all the hardworking and dedicated master gardeners who worked tirelessly throughout spring, summer and fall to nurture and tend those gardens. I'm thankful for Chris Benedict and Beth Chisholm's guidance and leadership. I'm thankful for those volunteers who have served on the foundation board and for those who continue to serve.  All of your insights and energy have helped to make our foundation better and stronger. I'm thankful for Cheryl's incredible competency and her continuing help. I am thankful for Amberose and her dedication to getting our beautiful and informative newsletter out. I'm thankful for Dr. Bob Barker and his wealth of knowledge and ongoing dedication to problem solving in the clinic week after week. I'm thankful for Vincent and the tech support he provides for master gardener programs and the foundation. I am thankful for David Simonson's (and Debbie's) leadership at Hovander (and his chocolate pies)!  I am thankful for Shelley Fishwild and the actualization of her vision for the Roeder home and creating  an urban demonstration garden. I am thankful for Esther Faber for landscaping and maintaining the area in front of the extension office. What a transformation! I am thankful for Jeff Dodson for working tirelessly to upgrade our insect collection. I am thankful for Kay Dykas for sending notes of sympathy and caring to those MG's who have dealt with hardship and sorrow. I am thankful for Karen Gilliam and her wealth of knowledge which she so freely shares. I am thankful for John Dewing and Pamela Wild who make sure there is a roster of great, informative workshops. I am thankful for Dick Steele and Janis Walworth for teaching us about the amazing world of weeds. And the list can go on and on and on. Thank you Dick, Judy, Sandy, Barb, Kendra, Elaine, Sandy, Peg and Sheila.  Thank you Lyn Morgan Hill  for stepping up to orchestrate the plant sale. And special thanks to Ayn, Kay and Pam for taking on the responsibility of the Children's Garden. There are so many others and I'm out of room.


 Heartfelt thanks to all of you.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Linda Burshia Battle
Master Gardener Foundation President

Wreath making at the November foundation meeting
An appearance by our friend Dennis Connor!