PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE

Linda Burshia Battle

This quote summarizes my feelings on September, perfectly;  “But now in September the garden has cooled, and with it my possessiveness.  The sun warms my back instead of beating on my head…The harvest has dwindled, and I have grown apart from the intense midsummer relationship that brought it on.”  Robert Finch

I am ready for fall and the crisp leaves, the falling temperatures and most importantly the fall rains.  I do love all the seasons but I am never reluctant or sad to move onto the next.  I’ve pulled all of my sweet pea plants as they have succumbed to the dry, hot days.  My dahlias and roses are magnificent and so they grace my tables.  My beautiful pears are being enjoyed while my blueberries are long gone.  My neighbors are sharing apples and plums and my walks in the woods leave my fingers stained in blackberry goodness.  What a marvelous place we live in.

The picnic at Hovander on August 11th was another great get together.  As always, the food was fabulous and the desserts for our dessert auction were amazing.  Thank you for everyone who attended and contributed either by baking or buying a beautiful dessert.  Not only did we make $131.00  this year but it was also such an enjoyable time for camaraderie among the Master Gardeners.  Special thanks to all who contributed. Dave Simonsons's famous Chocolate Almond pie received the highest bid for the second year in a row!

Lots of events are coming up.  The Advanced training will be in October and we have graduation in November and there are great speakers scheduled for the general meetings scheduled for the second Thursday of every month at 6:30.  Find all the details in this newsletter!